Sunday, July 6, 2008

Harriett...



Sadly on July 4th, while watching fireworks at Nana's, Harriett got spooked and came down to Nana's for comfort. Amongst the commotion of the kids and fireworks, Harriett wondered down to the end of the street and onto the busy 6200 S. Our neighbor was coming home and stopped to tell us that she was down at the end of the street. After Audrey and Jesse searched with no Harriett in sight, I gave Kingston to Lulu and started searching too. Needless to say my search did not have to go very far. Just shy of where Jesse stopped looking, I found Harriett on the road, she had been hit by a car and had already passed when I got to her. I carried her home and Aaron and Jesse buried her in our backyard in the flowerbed. Ayana was heartbroken and has many times said she misses her dog. My mom and sisters were upset as well. Harriett was a sweet dog and as frustrating as she could be some times, I had never wished her to leave our family like that. I feel extremely guilty for her death and I could have been a better dog owner. I think it will be an awfully long time before I purchase and commit to a dog. We loved Harriett and she will be missed...

7 comments:

Lulu said...

I'm so sorry for your loss and for all the stress in combination with that event. I love you so much and I was heart broken to see you and your daughter so upset. I wish I could go back and be more of a comfort to you at that time. Forgive me. As for Harriett...she was a sweet dog but she's in a much better place now. And you should stop blaming yourself for what happened. It could have been anyone of our pets. It's unfortunate, but these things happen.

smithblog said...

I am so sorry to hear about Harriett. I agree with Melissa, do not blame yourself at all. Things happen.

Markalie said...

I am sorry that Happened. That is so hard to lose a dog. They are just part of the family. It is so hard on kids. It is not your fault though. Stuff like that happens. Keep your head up. Sorry that had to happen.

Adri said...

Don't blame yourself for what happened to Harry. I'm sorry that this is how the 4th of July had to end. I'm sure Ayana misses her dog a ton, that will get better. We love you all so much, and Harry will be missed by everyone.

Jasmin said...

So Sorry Heather that is so sad that happen to you and your family.
Hang in there! I don't know what I would do if that happen to one of our dogs. Don't blame yourself okay.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. I know how much you loved that dog. I feel so bad, it breaks my heart.

Nana Sharples News said...

I have not been on your blog for a several days now and I have loved the photos you have posted, however, looking at the photos of Harriett brought tears to my eyes. I know you really didn't want this to happen and it was a hard night, but we are family and we love each other so much. I am so thankful for you and the love you bring to this family. I am sorry about Harriett. She truly loved you so much. She still loves you..
mom