Thursday, June 12, 2008

Zeke's Surgery!

UPDATE...I was scared half to death today when changing Zeke's diaper. His poor privates were so swollen they were barely recognizable. Not to mention his diaper had some blood. I called his doctor immediately and she told me to watch it. 30 minutes later, another diaper change due to Zeke complaining of pain, and to my utter disgust, Zeke's diaper was full of blood. I rushed right up to the Dr. I was told that Zeke had developed a blood clot and they needed to squeeze his privates to fix it. After much agony and screaming by Zeke, they wrapped it up really tightly and sent us to roam PCMC for 30 minutes to see how it did. After another review the Dr. sent us home and told me to take the bandage off in two days. If the blood clot came back after that they would need to go back in for surgery, undue the stitches, fix the bleeding, then restitch. The Dr. stated that he thought we wouldn't have to do that and it is rare to have the clot come back again, however, a clot in the first place only happens to less than 1% of boys. So keep Zeke in your prayers.






Zeke had surgery on Monday at Primary Children's. The official term was "repair of incomplete circumcision and excision of lesions". Jesse and I chose to have our boys circumcised right after they are born. Zeke's never really looked right. His pediatrician at the time of the first circumcision was Dr. Mark Templeman. To make a really long and graphic story short, it never looked like it was even done in the first place and he had some painful things that had to be done a couple times. Six months after that I changed pediatricians to the wonderful Dr. Paul Ferreira, (thanks Adri). He explained to me that he thought Zeke had a fat pad above his privates and that is why he didn't looked circumcised. Everything will look better when he slims out. Well that is what we were going with until May of this year. Dr. Ferreira looked at it again and changed his mind stating that the first circumcision was not performed correctly and Zeke needed to see a Urologist now because of his age.


So after taking Zeke to see Dr. Chad Wallis, Zeke was scheduled for surgery. At this stage Zeke had to be put to sleep and needed stitches. We were at the hospital from 10:00 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. for the surgery. He wasn't allowed to eat anything all morning so he was very cranky. I tried to keep him entertained as long as possible. The nurses finally decided to give him Valium to calm him down. I know it is not supposed to be funny, but is was so funny to see him react. He started saying Hi to everybody and smiling really big! The pictures of him with the "drunk" look on his face are after the Valium kicked in. He is recovering very well at home and I am glad it is all over! He was a very brave boy!

14 comments:

Jasmin said...

That is horrible! Tayson circumsion was messed up too. He had surgery when he was six months old. It's horrible that they have to go through it once but twice come on. It happen more and more I hear. Hang in there Zeke. What a cute boy he is. All of them are just beautiful.

Markalie said...

I am glad everything went well with Zeke's surgery. It is so hard when your kids need stuff like that done. It is no fun. I love that the valium made him happy and relaxed. Got to love the drugs. Take care and give him lots of loves as Ashy says when she is sick.

Anonymous said...

Sweet little Zekie! We are so glad that he has recovered from his surgery. Although it was a tough thing to watch him go through this I think you made the right decision.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to read that they didn't do your son's circumcision properly the first time around. I've read that they aren't removing as much foreskin as they use to when they do circumcisions now and that is causing problems. If you are interested, I am a group leader for a group for moms who believe in circumcising, it is great place to find info and support.


I hope you'll check it out:


http://www.cafemom.com/group/13109/


Sara
sarr115@yahoo.com

Clint and Shari said...

Hey Heather--I am so sorry that Zeke had to go through this. I hate when things like this happen to our little ones. They never quite understand what is going on. I'm glad that he is doing ok.

Adri said...

Very brave Zekie! I'm glad that he is doing so much better now. Those pictures are so cute of him in the hospital. What a stud!

smithblog said...

I am sorry he had a rough go! I hope he starts feeling better quick fast and in a hurry. btw - your kids are so freaking cute!!!

Lulu said...

Poor baby boy! He has gone through alot. Give him kisses from his Aunt Lulu.

smithblog said...

100% ok that you added me :D I hope it is ok if I add you to my list!

Thanks for commenting on my blog!!

Jesi said...

Holy Cow, That's scary. I am glad everything is okay. What a tough little boy.

Jasmin said...

AHHHHHHHHH! OMG... I can't not believe that happen to him. I don't know what I would of done. Freak out of course. GOsh poor lil guy. Oh I just want to hug and kiss him. It's so hard when they are in pain. Much luck to you and Zeke ging through such a horrible experience. Lots of love

Nana Sharples News said...

Zeke has gone through alot of pain this last couple of weeks...our poor little guy. Still he remains just the sweetest little boy. He sure loved his car that Uncle Aaron gave him tonight. That was so cute. I pray when this bandage comes off, it is improving...if he has to go back in for another surgery..I am going to freak out.
We love him so.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. Poor Zeke. I feel so bad that he has to go through all of this. What a sensitive place on your body. I hope everything continues to go well and without complication. I just can't believe it. Poor little guy.

Markalie said...

Poor little Zeke. That does not sound fun at all. I hope he is doing better. Keep me updated. He is just the cutest little guy. I will keep praying for him. Hope the rest of your family is well.